Thursday, March 11, 2010

Stereotype - The SLOW South

Have you ever compared driving in the South to driving in the North?
I always remembered my mother telling me how crazy Northerners drive and they are always in a rush to get to their destination, while us Southerners tend to me more friendly drivers and in less of a rush. This article is an article on Southern stereotypes and talks about many peoples personal experiences with the Southern stereotypes, and this woman said -

"One stereotype that kept resonating from friends was how slow it is in the South. I have to say since we moved here, things are a little bit slower, but I have found people take the time to speak, make eye contact and share a smile, which on a checkout line may make things slower but I genuinely appreciate it."

Personally I agree with what she says, that people in the South tend to be slower, but don't get me wrong, this does not mean that people in the South are dumber. I appreciate the more friendly laid back personality that Southerners can have, and the stereotype we get for it. I would much rather be known as friendly, than to be known as some of the stereotypes that Southerners can give Northerners. Another quote from the article refers to the driving habits of Southerners.

"Probably the biggest stereotype we heard before we moved here was that the South was typically slow.' However, anyone who's been out on interstates 77, 85 and/or 485 before or after rush hour knows that it's anything but slow! They don't call this place the home of NASCAR for nothing!"

This here is proof that there is a stereotype of the South being slow, and that this person, who came from Long Island N.Y., came to the South with a different driving style than what we represent, as his is probably a bit more hectic. While some may think that this stereotype of Southerners being friendly, or slow, is bad, I appreciate it for what it's worth.


No comments:

Post a Comment