Sunday, January 24, 2010

A Place in this World


Many things define who we are. These include our beliefs, our goals, our profession, and our home. These components that define us ultimately structure our identity. In the novel The Moviegoer, by Walker Percy, Binx Bolling is on a search. He wakes up one morning and feels that his “peaceful existence in Gentilly has been complicated” and “for the first time in years, there occurred to [him] the possibility of a search” (10). When he got dressed that very morning and began gathering his belongings, he felt as if he were looking at the items for the first time—that the items could have “belonged to someone else” (11). Binx declares that he is on a search, but he is very vague in classifying the object of his search. Since Binx Bolling seems to question the components that define who we are, I feel that he is on a search for his own identity.

Binx is uncertain about his beliefs, goals, profession, and home. He does not consider himself a believer in God or consider himself an atheist. He refers to the statistics of one poll that reported that “98% of Americans believe in God and the remaining 2% are atheists and agnostics—which leaves not a single percentage point for a seeker” (14). Binx considers himself a seeker. He doesn’t want a fixed answer, because when an answer is fixed, there is nothing to look for. Binx is also uncertain about his goals and profession. He was once interested in research and worked in a lab but quickly lost interest. His Aunt Emily now wants him to go to medical school, but he seems hesitant. He is not sure what he wants out of life. Lastly, Binx is also uncertain about his home. His sudden quest to search makes him eager to leave Gentilly.

Although Binx does not identify what he is searching for, his uncertainties and questions suggest that he is searching to find out who he is. Perhaps, he is searching for his beliefs, goals, profession, and home. Perhaps, he is searching for his identity.

What do you think Binx is searching for?

His uncertainties and his quest to search remind me of a song from an artist named Taylor Swift called “A Place in the World.” I feel that the chorus of the song is extremely fitting to his situation:

“I don’t know what I want, So don’t ask me, cause I’m still trying to figure it out.
Don't know what's down this road,
I’m just walking,
Trying to see through the rain coming down.
Even though I’m not the only one,
that feels the way I do.

I’m alone, on my own, and that's all I know.
I'll be strong, I'll be wrong,
Oh, but life goes on…

Got the radio on, my old blue jeans,
And I’m wearing my heart on my sleeve. Feeling lucky today, got the sunshine.
Can you tell me what more do I need?
And tomorrow's just a mystery, oh yeah,
but that's okay.”



No comments:

Post a Comment