Wednesday, January 20, 2010

A Representation of Southern Identity

The artifact that I choose as a representation of the South is an image of a man hosting a barbeque. The image is from an article written by Regina Charboneau called “7 Lessons in Southern Hospitality,” which was published in the Food section of the magazine "The Atlantic." The article describes ways one could make cooking and entertaining guests more enjoyable.

I did not choose this image, however, solely because of the barbeque shown (although barbeques are really popular and particularly good in the South). I chose this image because it offers a representation of southern identity. In the image, a man is cooking and smiling at his guests. In the background of the picture, there are people chatting and having a good time. The social gathering and kind expressions of the people in the image portray hospitality, friendliness, and warmth to others that all play a critical role in defining the southern identity.

Growing up in the north myself, specifically Brooklyn, New York, I had my fair share of rude and shocking experiences and encounters. No real action was ever taken to stop fights and bullying in public schools. Loud car honks and shouting are common sounds to hear during a stroll through the neighborhood. One would also not blink twice at the spectacle of a woman shouting nonstop at a man who accidently stepped on her foot. When I finally moved to the South, I noticed a significant change not only in the weather and the scenery but also in people. People are generally kinder and more respectable in the South. Car rides are quiet. When I went to school, I was surprised to see a sign taped on the wall in the hallway that read “No Bullying.”

When I think of people in the South, I think about people who have respect for others, good hospitality, and strong ties to the community. I think the image of the barbeque is an accurate representation of southern identity. The portrayal of the smiling host whose guests are happy displays friendliness and hospitality that is often found in the South.

No comments:

Post a Comment