Sunday, April 4, 2010

The Finish



In order to fully conclude our blog I’d like to introduce an open ended topic. In retrospect to our almost completed blog, how do you feel about Southern Identity as an entity within itself? Do you think that it is the culmination of a mimicked past forever lost or is it but a dynamic regional identity constantly evolving and changing within itself. I know that we have spoke of food, people, cities, music, stereotypes, and literature all with respect to Southern Culture or different cultures with comparable/dissimilar traits. So for this topic, more clearly defined – I’d like to choose one thing that you have written about before and retrospectively analyze it from a Southerners perspective as clear and accurately as possible. Do not think of yourself as the analyzer but instead empathize and figure exactly why something it is the way it is. Merely follow up a topic that you thought wasn’t complete.

In my first blog posting I wrote about Southern Undergraduate Fraternities. I would like to further enlighten my audience on the specifics of what Southern Brotherhood means. Southern Identity is class. That is why the South possesses such a unique culture – having recently returned to my hometown I can more clearly see why Fraternities existed. They existed, in the past, to create ties between men in order to create a network in which will aide them in the future. In doing so, the class of families with which these individuals come from will remain or begin their climb to the top echelons of their communities. As I have aged, I have seen these lines of demarcation more clearly with every return home. Though more subtle than before, these class differences are as old as the South itself and I believe that this is why the South is such a different place from the rest of the United States and is why it is both celebrated and looked down upon.

No comments:

Post a Comment